Friday 20 June 2008

Clipmarks and more on Twine

Below is an extract from an article from Hrafn Thorri Thorisson’s blog at Think Artifical about Twine. I thought I would add this as it gives a great description of bookmarklets, which adds to what I had already written. If you want to have a look at the full article, which covers the entire Twine service, click here.

In posting this extract I have tried using another new tool I came across called Clipmarks This plug in allows you to extract parts of a web page and then post them to your blog, add them to another web page or e-mail the extract to colleagues. It is an excellent tool for providing the right amount of information without having to send the entire link or article. With the tool you can extract videos and pictures as well as text.

It is very easy to use, however I have had a couple of issues in posting this article to my blog. Firstly I somehow managed to delete my comments whilst looking at the preview and in posting comments you can not use HTML, which is a shame as I initially had to add in URL’s for the above links rather than embed them in the text, which makes things a bit messy (this can be amended following the initial post of the blog in your standard blog editor). Also, once you get to the posting to blog page, there appears to be no way to adjust the information you have selected, you seem to have to start all over again if you change your mind on what should be posted.

Having said that, I still think this is a very useful tool and I am sure I will use it to e-mail colleagues parts of sites without having to add in the whole thing.

Bookmarklet Example

If you’ve ever used an online bookmarking service you’re familiar with adding a link to your browsers toolbar, and then clicking it to bookmark the page you’re on for easy access online later. It’s the same concept here, except when you click the bookmarking link the pretty window below appears at the corner of your browser window.

Twine Bookmarklet Example
The “Add to”, “Title” and “Summary” fields are shown truncated.
They auto-expand when clicked
None of the information you see above was entered by hand. The summary contains the text specified in the article metadata generated by Wordpress, the same regarding tags & title — plus Twine generates a thumbnail of the page.

So things are auto-extracted; with the option of adding or modifying them manually (you can manually select a pic from the page if you want). All we need to do is click save.


blog it

No comments: