Friday 20 June 2008

Bookmark tags with Firefox 3

Well, apparently I am one of 8 million people who downloaded Firefox 3 on the first day of its release. I have to say that growing up in a corporate environment I have always tended towards Internet Explorer, but over the last five years or so I started playing around with Firefox. Initially I found it annoying as many websites were not fully supported in Firefox as they had been written for IE.

However things have changed. I no longer have this problem and I am becoming more familiar with some of the amazing add-ons that can be plugged in to Firefox. I now use Firefox as my default browser and whilst I do get a little frustrated when I try to open some links from e-mailed newsletters which turn out to be Word documents and hence for some reason do not appear to open properly, I am very happy with Firefox.

So I was quite excited when I found out there was a new release of Firefox. I don’t want to go in to all the details as I am certainly no expert. The one thing I did want to draw to attention was the bookmarking service in Firefox. It is a simple thing really, but when you now bookmark a page in Firefox, rather than just adding the page and organising it in your list of bookmarks you can actually tag the bookmark itself.
You can then search for bookmarks by tag or use the quick link to look at recently used tags. This adds greater flexibility to information retrieval and makes this retrieval more intelligent within the browser environment, rather than having a simple folder structure.

There are also plenty of bookmark add-ons already for Firefox which will hopefully make things even more useful. I haven’t had time to look at any of these yet, but if you want to have a look at what is available, click here. It would be great if Firefox could suggest tags for you to use in a similar way to Twine bookmarklets. Perhaps there is an add-on that allows that, but I haven’t found it yet. I’m sure I’ll write another post if I do find one though.
clipped from www.crn.com
ChannelWeb Logo
Firefox 3, the recently released open source browser from Mozilla, has claimed that over 8 million copies of the software were downloaded on Download Day. The company stated early that their goal was to surpass the initial release of Firefox 2, at 1.6 million downloads in 24 hours, and hit 5 million downloads


"We exceeded 8 million downloads in our 24 hour period," the blog states. Downloads were tracked from 11:16am PDT on June 17th to 11:16am PDT on the following day.

blog it
Zemanta Pixie

No comments: